Brain Tumour and Anxiety Research

December Update

Hello everyone, just a quick update because it’s been a short while. The only treatment update to tell of is increasing the dose of my anti-seizure medication due to an emergence and increase of twitching all over my body which could be minor seizure activity. The only other change in symptoms is an increase in quantity and intensity of my headaches but nothing that’s particularly difficult to deal with, it’s more just the anxiety it can cause. Heart scan is on the 18th and I have to have a filling next week, and I’m really not a fan of the dentist.

Anxiety and Tumours

A 2003 Finnish study discusses the links between tumour locations and anxiety prevalence in patients. The results indicate that patients with tumours in the right hemisphere of the brain (e.g. Me) had significantly higher levels of anxiety than that of left sided tumour patients. The good news is patients with right hemisphere gliomas showed a general decrease in anxiety after surgical intervention to levels close to that of the general population. I don’t frequently get any reassuring information while researching Gliomas so it’s nice to see some, especially when relating to future quality of life. If i am one of the lucky ones with few surgical side effects and a decrease in anxiety which has been effecting my quality of life for 16-17 months now, then 2014 could be a much better year.

I've done a lot of research into the genetics of brain tumours which revealed some interesting trends, and some promising information regarding my demographics giving me a good chance of having one of the kinder genetic profiles, but I’ll discuss all this after surgery when I know the genetic markings of my tumour for sure.



To go with the good news I’ll throw in a happy picture of some of my friends at the beach this weekend.
polkerris

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1 year update chemo, radiotherapy, surgery.

Craniotomy number 2: 11 days post op

high grade scan results